GOVERNANCE POLICY: GP-8 Council and Committee Expenses
| POLICY TYPE:
| DATE APPROVED:
||September 14, 2018
Guiding Principles for Honoraria and Expense Allowances:
- - Transparency and accountability
- - Simplification of policy
- - Equity with other colleges/jurisdictions
- - Making serving more attractive to potential Council and Committee members
- - Making serving more attractive to potential Council Presidents
- - Alignment with standard business practices
- - Reimbursement for all meetings – Council, committee, etc..
- - Reimbursement for all types of meetings – in person, teleconference, etc.
- - Not a replacement of lost earnings
Councilors and committee members shall be paid an honorarium and expense allowance for all meetings attended in person and at a distance including the Annual General Meeting, Council meetings, committee meetings, and conferences attended at the direction of Council.
1. Honoraria and expense allowances for Medical Members of Council for attending meetings of Council and/or meetings authorized by Council, including conference calls, shall be as follows:
1.1.Honoraria: $150 per hour for meetings and $50 per hour for travel time.
1.2. Office Offset: For those Members who are eligible, $200 per day.
1.3.1. In province: Actual costs for CPSS-arranged rates, single occupancy, standard room plus taxes supported by receipts OR an allowance of $100 per night without supporting receipts.
1.3.2. Out of Province: Actual costs for single occupancy, standard room plus taxes supported by receipts OR an allowance of $100 per night without supporting receipts.
1.4.Travel: Mileage at current Province of Saskatchewan Government rate. Actual costs supported by receipts for parking. When the Member uses public transportation (plane, taxi, bus, etc.), actual travel costs supported by receipts are allowed. For air travel, the maximum allowable claim is full economy fares and every effort shall be made to obtain reduced fares on “seat sales”.
1.5.Meals: At current Province of Saskatchewan Government rates. Receipts are not required.
1.5.1. Meals may not be claimed when provided at meetings or CPSS special invitation events.
1.5.2. Meal costs for Member’s guests/partners are the responsibility of the Member, except where CPSS events specifically include guests in the invitation.
1.6. Incidentals: $17 per full or partial day when on travel status.
2. The Council President shall receive an annual stipend of $6,500 in recognition of conducting additional CPSS business, over and above honoraria paid for attendance at meetings. The Council President may claim honoraria and expenses in accordance with paragraph 1 for all meetings, including external meetings where the President represents CPSS and internal operational meetings such as Executive Committee teleconferences.
3. The Public Appointees to Council will be paid Honoraria for attending meetings of Council and/or meetings authorized by Council, including conference calls, so that the total amount paid to the public appointees from the Government of Saskatchewan and CPSS is 80% of the amount paid for Medical Members of Council as set out in paragraph 1.1.
4. Honoraria and expense allowances for all other Committee Chairs and Members shall be in accordance with paragraph 1 except as follows:
4.1.The hourly honoraria rate for meetings and travel for non-medical members is one-half the rate for medical members, unless a mutually agreed upon rate (taking into consideration individual factors such as office overhead and income loss) is negotiated.
4.2.Where a hearing before the Medical Discipline Committee is longer than 5 working days, the hourly honoraria rate for meetings doubles for days 6 and after.
5. Claims are to be submitted on an event or monthly basis.
6. Expenses may be claimed for official CPSS business only. Side-trips (e.g. mileage, airline stopover charges, additional hotel accommodation) for personal or other business reasons may not be claimed.
7. College staff shall perform a market survey every two years to determine whether to honoraria and expense allowances are in line with national levels and report to Council.
 Medical Members of Council are physicians and surgeons who have been elected to participate as CPSS Council members, but do not include public and student representatives, or CPSS staff.
 Travel time for air travel is based on scheduled time in flight plus travel time to and from the airport plus 2 hours for boarding and deplaning.
 Eligibility for Office Offset occurs on full day meetings where a member would normally incur ongoing office expenses.
 Incidentals include tips, meter parking, personal phone calls, laundry, personal needs, etc. while attending meetings.