Supervision and Assessment
All physicians who are not eligible for a Regular License, are required to be assessed by a College-approved supervisor.
Physicians are granted educational or provisional licenses that may have restrictions applied, to enable them to participate in assessments, as well as practise under supervision and bill for services.
Assessment activities include:
Practice Ready Assessments
• For Internationally Trained Family Physicians: See Saskatchewan International Physician Practice Assessment (SIPPA Program).
• For Internationally Trained Specialist Physicians: At the request of the Saskatchewan Health Authority, a process to determine if a candidate meets the standard set out by Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) that may result in Royal College Exam eligibility. The process can take a minimum of 3 (ie. 55 days of observed practice) and the supervisor/assessor(s) complete and submit forms to the RCPSC. The RCPSC will also send the candidate forms for completion once the clinical assessment is complete, as candidates must complete a cycle of Maintenance of Certification (MOC PRA program) with the RCPSC.
• If successful, the RCPSC will issue a letter of eligibility in the primary discipline.
• At the request of the Saskatchewan Health authority, a process designed to permit internationally trained physicians who are not eligible for Canadian certification to demonstrate that they possess the academic knowledge, technical skill, and clinical judgment to enter supervised practice in Saskatchewan. A summative assessment is performed at the end of the supervision period to determine option for enduring licensure.
• A process that enables a physician to practise independently under a Provisional licence with scheduled reviews and feedback from a supervisor, for a minimum of at least one year.
• A process to determine if a physician is competent in his/her discipline and meets the expected standards of care for Regular Licensure.
The image below outlines the typical process. Overall duration can vary. Click here to download PDF view .