The Registration Services Department is responsible for the licensure of physicians wishing to practice in Saskatchewan. The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan (CPSS) has legislated requirements that must be met before a physician can obtain a licence. Every physician application requires a careful review of their education, training, and relevant experience, as well as any outstanding investigations, disciplinary actions, or restrictions, before a licensure decision can be made.
Registration Services has responsibility for the following functions:
Registration & Licensing
- Annual Licensure renewal for physicians who are currently registered in Saskatchewan;
- Annual Permit renewal for medical professional corporations;
- Renewal of medical resident registration as they progress through their postgraduate training;
- Renewal of temporary licences as required.
Monitoring & Reporting
- Monitoring compliance with registration requirements (examinations etc) of physicians who are currently registered to practice medicine in Saskatchewan.
- Prepare and submit a weekly letter to Medical Services Branch (MSB) at the Ministry of Health of all new physician licenses and corporations or changes to licensure or corporation status.
- Prepare and maintain accuracy for a monthly Provincial Physician Directory.
- Coordinates the process of supervision for physicians who are required to be supervised by a College-approved supervisor.
- Coordinates Pre-licensure Assessments to assess entry into supervised practice and Summative Assessments to determine whether a physician has the appropriate knowledge, skills and abilities to safely practice medicine independently in Saskatchewan.