Applying for Physician Assistant Licensure
Last update: December 19, 2023
PA Regulation in Saskatchewan
On September 8, 2023, PAs officially became regulated under CPSS. As healthcare professionals supervised by physicians, PAs are required to meet the eligibility requirements set out in Regulatory Bylaw 2.13.1.
Under Bylaw 2.13.1, Council may issue a licence to practise as a Physician Assistant, to a person who meets the following:
- 1. English Language Proficiency, and
- 2. Currency of Practice, and
- 3. Good Character, and
- 4. Good Standing.
- 5. Graduate of an accredited physician assistant training program in Canada or the United States, and
- 6. Has obtained Certification through the Canadian Association of Physician Assistants (CAPA) or the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA), and
- 7. Holds a designation as a Canadian Certified Physician Assistant (CCPA) or a Physician Assistant -Certified (PA-C) in the United States.
In addition to meeting requirements, a Physician Assistant is required to submit a Practice Description and Contract of Supervision with a regulated member for the Registrar to review and approve, prior to licensure.
A Physician Assistant may only perform an authorized practice, if authorized by their supervisor and if the supervisor is a regulated member who is legally permitted to perform the authorized practice. The Physician Assistant must practise under a Registrar-approved Practice Description and Contract of Supervision at all times.
For more information, please review the Physician Assistant FAQs.
How to get started
Physician Assistants who have been interviewed and offered a job in Saskatchewan should reach out to CPSS. CPSS will collect some preliminary information from the Physician Applicant to confirm they meet licensure requirements.
The type of information that CPSS may ask for includes the following:
- The location of intended practice and name of the Primary Supervisor identified.
- A copy of the Physician Assistant Position Description from the hiring agency,
- A copy of the Physician Assistant Degree/Diploma.
- A copy of Physician Assistant Certification
- A summary of the Physician Assistant’s practice history
If a Physician Assistant meets requirements for Licensure, the Physician Assistant will be invited to complete the following documents as part of the application process:
Upon approval of the above documents, the Physician Assistant will receive a licensure ruling.
Physician Assistant Annual Licensure Renewal
Similar to all regulated physicians registered in
Saskatchewan, Physician Assistants will be required to renew their licence on
an annual basis and pay fees annually.
Physician Assistants will be contacted annually and invited
to complete the annual renewal and declaration.
A Physician Assistant Licence expires each year on November
30. The deadline to renew
is November 1.
Physician Assistant Fees
Initial Registration Fee: $450
· Annual Licensure Fee: $475
For more information on fees, click here.