Council and Committees

No content found

No content found

No content found

Questions & Answers Regarding Running for Election to the College Council

What Is The Council of the College?

The Council is the governing body of the College of Physicians and Surgeons and is composed of twelve physicians elected by the members in ten electoral divisions, five non-medical members appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor-in-Council, the Dean of Medicine (or his/her designate), and the immediate Past President of the College (if not at the Council by virtue of election from an electoral division).

Why Should I Consider Running for Election to the College Council?

Professional self-regulation is a privilege granted to the medical profession by the Legislature of the province through The Medical Profession Act, 1981. Effective discharge of this delegated responsibility is essential to maintenance of this privilege.

By serving as a Councillor of the College, one makes a contribution to the citizens of this province, and to the medical profession.

Physicians who have served on the Council uniformly report it to be a great learning experience which broadens their understanding of opportunities and challenges associated with professional self-regulation.

What Kind of Work Is Involved?

The Council has a number of very specific regulatory responsibilities that are explicitly prescribed in The Medical Profession Act, 1981. For instance, the Council is the only body that can lay a charge of unprofessional conduct against a physician. If a physician is found guilty of unprofessional conduct by a Discipline Hearing Committee, the Council is the body that hears evidence in respect to penalty, and sets the penalty.

In addition, the Council defines the organizational Ends or goals to be achieved by the College. The Council engages a CEO to achieve these organizational goals within an explicit set of Executive Limitations defined by the Council.

How Do I Know If I Am Eligible to Run for Election to the Council?

You are eligible to run for election if you are a physician who:

  • is named in the Register; and
  • is actually engaged in practice in the electoral division in which you seek election; and
  • is not under suspension; and
  • has fully paid the fees required by The Medical Profession Act, 1981 at least seven weeks prior to the date of the election.

What Kind of Time Commitment Is Involved in Service as a College Councillor?

The College Council meets five times per year, and each meeting is of two days duration. The meetings are generally scheduled on a Friday and Saturday.

In addition to attendance at Council meetings, there is a significant time commitment required to read background information disseminated in advance of each Council meeting.

Council members are expected to attend the Annual Meeting of the College which is generally convened in the Spring.

If a Council member is elected to the Executive Committee of the Council, additional time may be required for participation in meetings of the Executive Committee.

How Would I Be Compensated for this Service?

While Councillors do receive some compensation for their service, it does not totally offset professional earnings that may be forfeited through service as a Councillor.

Governance Policy 8 (GP-8) outlines the honor-aria payable to physicians and public members for attending meetings, including related travel time. GP-8 also establishes the current reimbursement and allowance rates for travel, accommodation and meals while on College business. GP-8 is amended from time-to-time by Council. The most recent version is dated September 17, 2010.

How Long Is the Term of Service?

The term of service is three years. There is no limit on eligibility for re-election. When an elected Councillor resigns from Council before the expiry of his/her term, a by-election is held to elect a Councillor for the duration of that term.

If Elected, How Long After Election Would I Take Office?

The election is conducted in December, and newly elected Councillors take office at the first scheduled Council meeting in the following year.

How Do I Go About Running for Election?

At least six weeks prior to the date for the election, the Registrar's office will distribute nomination papers to all members entitled to vote in electoral districts having an election. At least four weeks prior to the date for the election, candidates must submit to the Registrar's office a completed nomination form.

Each nomination paper must be signed by the nominee and three other College members who are qualified to vote in the same electoral division in which the candidate seeks office.

As a Councillor of the College, to Whom Am I Accountable?

The Council of the College has identified all persons who may rely upon members of the College for medical services as the "moral ownership" of the College. As a Councillor, one must consistently act in the interest of the moral ownership of the organization.

Within the electoral division from which one is elected, a Councillor member certainly has responsibility for bilateral communication with members of that district. However, it is important to emphasize that, while elected by the members of an electoral district, a Councillor's role is not to represent the interests of the physicians in that electoral district.

How Do I Get Further Information?

If you are interested in standing for election, or just want further information, please contact Ms. Sue Waddington at: (306) 667-4625 or by e-mail at:

No content found

No content found